Today in life drawing we had a successful session using mostly natural lighting.
We opened the window shades for this session and let the ambient sunlight pour in and it actually worked great. We still had to light the model but we used a 5000 kelvin bulb which is close to the same color as sunlight.
I found that reaching the colors of the model was much easier than last session, that was on positive. But, I had a couple other issues that I need to correct. First, my canvas was a bit too un-obsorbent. I’m not sure why, but I’m going to try a few things here at home to fix it. Secondly, I had a lot of trouble starting this painting with the drawing and just painting it in general and I think it had to do with my distance from the model. I think I was having trouble just seeing what I needed to see. So next time I’m going to move the model stand closer to the artists.
In the end the painting didn’t turn out so well but I learned a lot so I consider this session a plus.