Session #002, Work #002





The painting setup.

So, after the first painting I tried to learn from my mistakes and take my time drawing and working on the value. Overall, I think the more time I spent on this one really paid off. The best improvement here was taking more time on the drawing.


My hierarchy of painting importance

  1. Drawing
  2. Value
  3. Edges
  4. Composition
  5. Color



I outlined the painting then overlaid that outline onto the still life.

How can I improve the drawing

The major change from the last painting was that I took more time and set a specific increment for measuring. This increment was the height of the head of the figure. Doing this really fixed a bunch of issues from the last painting. I did notice that the drawing gets a bit worse the further it gets away from the head. The only way I can think to fix this is too create a second increment from the first that is larger, but I would have to make sure that the larger increment is exact.



I removed all color and pulled pieces of each image to the center to compare. I also split each image and put the halves next to each other.

How can I improve the values?

I have to say, I think the values are very close. There is an inherent issue with paint, basically the bright white of reality cannot be captured in paint totally so a paintings value range needs to be reduced. Even though the values here are different than the real object their relative comparison are correct. I couldn’t achieve the brightest white in the still life so the other values had to drop a bit, but we cannot drop further then black so this is where the limiting of value range comes in.

Although, the second thing I did this painting  after setting up the lightest light and the darkest dark was to set the values next to these. And it worked really well.



Again I didn’t focus much on edges this painting, I will focus more once I don’t break everything by getting drawing incorrect.



I kept the composition simple and didn’t focus on it at all. The only thing I wanted to do was keep the entire figure in the painting.



Not much of a focus on color here. I just recognized which areas were warm and which were cool and tried to keep them somewhat true.